Thursday 30 May 2013

How to Play Old ROM NES Games Like Mario, Contra & Others on PC

How could anyone forget the days while we used to fight with our cousins and friends to just play NES games? I still remember, me and a friend of mine used to go to a video game cafe to play the all time popular games like Contra, Mario, Adventure Island, Bomberman, Supercontra, Lode Runner, Mighty Final Fight to name a few. Man, I miss those days....................

Play Old ROM NES Games on PC

I didn't know if I could play those games anymore until I came to know about a few methods. Yep, if you do miss those games just as much as I do, I’d be really happy to share a few of these methods to play the Old ROM NES games using your PC.


Shocked? Yeah, me too when I first knew that I can play these games using my PC. Now I don’t need to bother to visit video game cafes or fight with my friends though I miss them. However, I was just browsing through the Internet and I found out two methods to play the Old NES games, first online and the second one is by using emulator.

I’d prefer online gaming rather than using emulator, as it is totally convenient and uncomplicated. You’d be surprised to know that tons of websites are available that can let you play your favorite NES games and that too using your web browser. I’ve listed a few websites underneath that are one of the best online web portals offering free NES games. The websites mentioned below also use emulators that are compatible with almost all web browsers with Java/Flash installed.

NESbox.com:

It’s one of the popular websites offering NES games. The games run smoothly on flash and you could hardly come across any lag. So far, there are a total of over 1800 games there to play. Visit website, choose a game and just click on the ‘Play’ option to be found below the game title. After clicking, you’ll be taken to the dedicated game webpage. This seems to be only website that offers gaming and chatting simultaneously. There is a public chat room just under the emulator. Just before entering the game, the machine will ask you to choose the game type. You could either choose One Player, Two Player via Internet or Game Walkthrough. You can get more details about the types of games from the website. Now about the gameplay, the gameplay, like we said, is completely seamless. You’ll be asked to configure the joystick keys as you like it. Don’t want to configure, doesn’t matter, it will automatically be set to default. Another key aspect of this website is that you can save your game’s progress by just having an account with it. That’s all I can say about this web. To know more, visit it at your earliest convenience.

VirtualNES.com:

Unlike NESbox, VirtualNES uses Java client instead of flash. The best thing about this website is that you can find the games that are hardly ever heard or available on other NES gaming websites. Some of its games are not officially released. I did check them and I tell you what, they’re awesome. While you choose to play a game through your web browser you’ll be asked to permit the java client to run and you have to allow it.

Some other websites where you can play old ROM games are NEScafeplay.com, 8bbit.com and lots more. Google will help you to find them.

This is the first method for how you can play old ROM NES games on PC and the second method is undoubtedly standalone emulators. You can download one emulator called ‘Nester’ from here or here and I’ve collected a few amazing games for you. After downloading the file, which will be ‘.Rar’ format, simply extract it and double click on ‘Nester.exe’, when it runs click on ‘File’ and select ‘Open ROM’ option. Then select any of the given ROMs to start playing, you can also drag and drop. Use ‘Z’ and ‘X’ as action buttons and arrows keys to move the character. Use ‘A’ key to select and to start the game use ‘S’ key from the keyboard.

Just sit back and enjoy the gaming………….

1 comment:

  1. Really enjoyed play contra game online. this game is so fanstic . if you guys want to Play contra game online
    play it here

    ReplyDelete